Thursday, January 17, 2013

Defining Christianity: Introduction


There's a special language, a subtle shift of our vocabulary, whenever we talk about our faith. We build a chosen list of our ill-fitting human words, aching to describe the indescribable... seeking words to glorify God, to tell His story, to praise and worship Him.

Does saying that tiny word -- 'awe' -- even begin to describe what we feel when we think of our God? Does 'redeem' do justice to explain what He has done for us? Can five letters hold the full meaning of 'grace' -- or 'mercy'?

Words, simple words, short words full of meaning. Why is our special language, our faith language, riddled with certain words and not others? Do we know what we mean when we use these words -- really know?

I've been seeking to understand these words, to write them on my heart, to sink into their meaning. God meets me there in the pages of my dictionary, opening my eyes in new ways. He leads me back to the pages of my bible where He authors another definition, and I come away amazed and humbled.

"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened." -- Matthew 7:7-8, ESV

To find more posts on this topic, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment