Thursday, January 17, 2013

Defining Christianity: redeem

This post is part of a larger series called Defining Christianity. For an introduction to the topic, please click here. To see more posts in this series, click here

redeem (verb): to buy back; to recover by payment or other satisfaction; to free from captivity by payment of ransom; to liberate, rescue, save; the opposite of abandon

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer." -- Psalm 19:14, ESV

"Redeem me from man's oppression, that I may keep your precepts." -- Psalm 119:134, ESV

"For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth." -- Job 19:25, ESV

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works." -- Titus 2:11-14, ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment