Sunday, October 21, 2012

Preparedness

As the summer has ended and autumn is in full swing, I thought it would be a good time to talk about seasons. Christian life is often spoken of as having seasons; a season where we are closer to God, or sometimes one where we feel further from Him.


This summer was certainly a season for me. I often felt as though I was in a rut, having a hard time finding ways to serve the Lord. One afternoon, as I was reaching to explain the feeling to my husband, I finally struck upon the word I was looking for -- preparedness. It was that moment when I realized that I may not have been prepared enough to take on the Lord's work.

Imagine you were going to your kitchen to prepare dinner. You take out the vegetables and the cutting board and set everything in place. Finally, you turn to your knife block and select a tool -- but do you choose a dull knife, or a sharp one?

I realized that the Lord hadn't stopped doing his work, but that I may not have been "sharp" enough to be of use to him. I decided to dedicate the summer to preparedness, returning to scripture and the community of other believers to help hone myself. Verses such as Proverbs 24:27 helped remind me how important readiness is in our walk with Christ, for how can we share wisdom with those around us if we haven't received it ourselves?

The summer is over and just as I can see the seasons changing around me, I feel them changing within. I feel ready to do the work that God will set before me, and I'm excited for what the future will hold.  If you feel like your opportunities to serve have been limited, please see this as encouragement to consider your own preparedness! I promise that your efforts will not go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment